Buttermilk Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from www.joyofbeaking.com
350 grams all-purpose flour
150 grams granulated brown sugar
Zest of one orange or/and lemon
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
240 ml buttermilk
120 ml vegetable oil (sunflower oil)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
½ cup chocolate chips
This recipe is so easy to make, and most important you do not need to wash a lot of dishes after the baking. So here are the steps for making the muffins:
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C (355 degrees F ). Position the rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. I prefer to use disposable aluminum muffin tins.
2) Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
If you don’t have buttermilk, like I did, you could just add one tea spoon of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes: 10-15, then you have your buttermilk. Thank God it’s www.Joyofbeaking.com for this kind of tips.
3) In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest. After mixed well, gently fold in the strawberries and the chocolate chips.
4) Mix together the dry and wet ingredients with a rubber spatula.
!!! Do not over mix the batter or your muffins will toughen.
5) Fill each muffin cup almost full with batter, using a spoon or an ice cream scoop.
6) Bake them until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 – 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 – 10 minutes before removing from the pan.